Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:04:27 -0700
Not a very happy morning for me today.  I finally took Rasta to a different
vet who was willing to do the blood work I had requested in the three
visits to the other place (big egos felt that it was either ECE or
"irritable bowel syndrome" - $300 dollars later...) It turns out that he
has insulinoma and I am beginning to treat with Prednisone and
Chlorfenical.

Why do SOME vets feel that they know everything right up front?  Wouldn't
it have been a logical idea to do blood work on a MF six year old with
these symptoms?  Why, after requesting blood panels 3 times, did they not
do it?  I should never have taken him to them that many times if they were
not willing to cooperate.  Do these vets really have the nerve to suggest
that we do not know our own animals?  I knew that Rasta had more than just
a virus.

You can see that I am really angry that I just got soaked for $300 not to
mention the 40 minute drive to them because I had heard that "they are the
best in Washington".

Let this serve as a warning to everyone, that if you request something be
tested and your vet refuses to do it (because they are soooo knowledgeable),
go somewhere else IMMEDIATELY!

I have never had to treat for anything like this, could somebody tell me
what to expect (from a ferret owners view, not a vet)?  Could somebody also
tell me how long their ferret has survived with insulinoma?  I do not want
him to suffer.

Crying all day today....

Thanks