From:
Amanda Wheat-Simms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:44:53 -0600
I'm a relatively new ferret owner (or vice versa!), and a long-time
lurker on the FML.  So far we've gone through several arrangements as
for playtime for my three boys, Charlie, Linus and Schroeder.  We used to
let them out to play either in our hallway or a ferret-proofed room for
several hours a day, but they were literally destroying the carpet with
their digging and "scooting."

We came up with what seems like a great solution.  We set up a big
playpen around their cage in the kitchen, so they can come out and romp
whenever they feel like it and still be in a ferret-proofed area that's
much easier to clean.  Plus, they're right there where the action is.
The only problem with this set-up is that Charlie and Linus INSIST that
they need to be on top of the cage.  Over the past couple of weeks, I've
pulled them down from there dozens of times.  One time Charlie was up
there long enough to make a mess on the top of the cage (good thing he
didn't "back up!), and last night I saw him roll right off of the nearly
5 foot cage and land on his back.

I made a cover for the cage that I've been using at night, and I don't
think they can climb up it, but as soon as I pull it back in the morning
they start climbing.  I'm thinking of strapping some dryer vent tunnels
to the side of the cage to at least give them a safer way down once they
get up there, but I'd really rather just prevent them from getting up
there in the first place.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, but does anyone have any
suggestions?

Amanda