Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:18:06 EDT
Hello ferret enthusiasts living and working in the SF area,

On Sept. 10th at 5:30 P.M. at the community meeting room at the SF police
station  located at 24th and Taraval, the SF Animal Control and Welfare
Commission will meet to hear consider recommending to the board of
supervisors that the city of San Francisco make itself safe for hundreds
of resident domesticated ferrets and their owners.

Last month I gave a presentation supporting this idea based on the fact that
ferrets are a domesticated pet, just like cats and dogs, but pose less of a
threat to the environment or people than cats, dogs and most other pets.
The Commission was furnished with documents from 3rd party experts proving
that my statements were accurate.  These experts included the Centers for
Disease Control, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
(addressing the relative safety of ferrets to people), the Smithsonian
Institute, Museum of Natural History, and the United States Department of
Agriculture (addressing the fact that ferrets are domesticated), and the
Office of Technology Assessment, California Research Bureau and all 50
state departments of Fish and Game (addressing the ferret's inability to go
feral).

A representative from the Audubon Society, WITHOUT A SINGLE SHRED OF
EVIDENCE, made wild accusations that ferrets pose a significant danger to
birds and other mammals (there's never been a documented feral population
of ferrets in the US-- the environment poses a significant danger to the
ferret) and suggested that citizens wanting to see ferrets legalized get a
cat (or dog) instead!  And, again with no evidence to back his claim, this
representative of Audubon told the Commission that our efforts to legalize
the ferret in California were funded by the pet industry and commercial
breeders!  As you know, nothing is further from the truth.  Californians
for Ferret Legalization has never received one dime from any member of the
pet industry, or any commercial ferret breeder.  We've relied solely on the
support of the individuals we represent-- you.  So, without scientific
justification for their position that ferrets are a problem of any kind,
Audubon lowered itself to misrepresent the organization, the individuals,
and the very nature of the companion animal behind the legalization effort
here in California.  You must not be silent in the face of these gross
fabrications by the Audubon Society.

On Sept. 10th the Commission will again have received more scientific
information from Californians for Ferret Legalization.  But they MUST hear
from you.  Do not let our opponents speak in your absence.  Please come to
the hearing and testify in support of the sanctuary idea.  You do not need
to give your full name, nor do you need to reveal that you own a ferret
(though I seriously doubt any harm would come of that given the
circumstances).  But you do need to speak up and let the Commission know
that the proposal is necessary, fair and justified, and that the claims and
concerns from the opposition have no basis in fact.  Let them know what it's
like living like a criminal for something as innocent and joyous as owning
this delicate little pet.  If you don't have a ferret but want one tell them
why you want a ferret and how unfair it is that ferrets are legal in 48
states and literally the rest of the world but not in CA.  If you prefer,
write to the Commission anonymously from San Francisco and tell them the joy
that your ferret brings to you.  But your letter must arrive prior to Sept.
10th and your attendance and willingness to speak up will be the deciding
factor for the Committee.  This is a unique opportunity, don't miss out on
a chance to protect ferrets and their owners in this city.

Attend the hearing (at the police station), and/or write to:

Mailing address for the Commission
San Francisco Commission of Animal Control and Welfare
1390 Market Street, Suite 822
San Francisco, CA  94102

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website