From:
Chris Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1993 15:49:01 -0400
Hello all,

I need help here in Madison, WI.  The Ferret Fanciers of Greater
Milwaukee have been dealing with the Henry Vilas Zoo here in Madison-
rather unsuccessfully I might add.  I have recently been made aware
of this problem and have taken it on as my own (hopefully not setting
myself up for major disappointment).

The zoo's educational director has been aiding the spread of misinformation
about ferrets by either nor providing his volunteers with accurate
information, or not ensuring that the correct information be given
to the general public.  A specific incident (as mentioned below) was
brought to his attention, and he chose to ignore the accurate information
given to him, supporting his status with old, outdated information and
hear-say information, as well as telling us that we ferret owners are
just biased.

Here are some of his quotes:

1.  "... especially males have a strong odor if not descented."
Our Response:  Dogs also have a strong odor but that does not
necessarily make them less desirable as a pet.
My Addition:  Descenting is generally not recommended unless the
ferret is purchased as such.  Most of the odor problem is taken
care of with neutering the animal.

2.  "The average person does not know how to handle, care for
or realize the special needs of these animals in captivity."
Our Response:  First, "in capativty" refers to the natural
habitat of the animal being in the wild!
My Addition:  It is true that the average person does not know how
to deal with ferrets, BUT IT IS YOUR JOB AS THE ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY
TO EDUCATE PEOPLE WITH CORRECT INFORMATION SO THAT PEOPLE CAN LEARN!

3.  "They are closely [closely is underlined] related to the black-
footed ferret which is an endangered specis in the U.S."
Our Response:  First, they are very remotely related!!
My Addition:  Get your facts straight (you idiot).

4.  "We also feel it is our responsibility to make people
aware that all animals have special needs and requirements as
pets and espedcially wild animals in general do not make pets"
"It is true the zoo does discourage wild anials as pets as well as
ferrets.."
My Response:  FERRETS ARE NOT WILD ANIMALS - IF YOU SET THEM "FREE"
THEY WILL DIE A PAINFUL DEATH OF STARVATION!!!!  I don't really mind
ignorant people - they have not yet been educated.  Its those who
*chose* to remain ignorant after the correct information has been
presented to them.

WHAT I NEED:

I don't know quite what I need.  I have never fought a battle like
this before.  This guy seems like a really hard-headed, closed minded
whatever-word-you-want-to-use-here.  He invalidates our information,
calling us biased because we own ferrets.

A couple things that I would really like to get my hands on is

1.  The recent ruling by the National Humane Society to recognize
ferrets as suitable pets able to be adopted my members of the general
public (I think this was passed sometime last fall?)

2.  The IMRAB rabies acceptance by whomever accepted it - the
National Vetinary Association or whomever.

If you can get official documents of either of these, or other
relevant information, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fax them to me at
(608) 265-2614

If you don't have access to a fax, my snail mail address is:
        Chris Haas
        1555 Adams Stree, E3
        Madison, WI 53711

NOTES:

This guy does not seem receptive to anything.  I plan to meet with
him and try and talk to him.  I plan to volunteer to do educational
presentation for his staff.  I plan to give him my number so if
people come in with ferrets they want to surrender he can give them
my number and I will transport the ferrets to the Milwaukee Ferret
Shelter.

Next step - the guy is totally closed off and won't deal with me at
all.  Something I wrote for myself to say to him:

        The public support and funding of this zoo keeps it going.
        The zoo's primary goal *should* be to educate the general
        public *with correct information* and to promote the well-
        being of the animal population.  Accurate information has
        and can be provided to you, however, if you chose to ignore
        this information and retain your ignorance, then you are
        promoting mis-information intentionally.  This is certainly
        NOT how we, the public, want our zoo run.  The people who
        fund this organization need to know about this choice -
        and so does the public.  I have been considering an
        opportunity of doing a segment on ferrets for a local
        network here in Madison and I would hate to have to tell
        the public of the zoo's poor chioce to continue to knowingly
        mislead and mis-educate the public.

(I'm sure I would try and state this a little "nicer" in person,
but you get the point).  I won't give up easy - I have nothing
to lose.  I am not a "recognizable" member of society - I am a
college student just passing through, a few years and I'll be gone.
However, I would like to leave knowing that I have accomplished a
couple things in this well-known "mostly liberal" city.

Anways, thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Chris Haas                      [log in to unmask]
Computer-Aided Engr. Center     265-2636