From:
Jennifer Skeem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 21:00:29 +0000
We have a 2&1/2 year old ferret, Zoe, who recently had what was diagnosed as
a mast cell tumor removed from her neck.  Less than two weeks later, a
similar bump appeared about 1/2" away, on her head.  It was bright red at
first, but now looks like the tumor we had removed.

How serious a threat do these tumors pose?  Our vet said that the tumors can
spread to organs and become dangerous.  However, because there is no
classification scheme for tumors in ferrets, he could not diagnose how fast
hers might metastasize.  He suggested that we just try to "keep up" with
them (e.g., identify and have them removed as quickly as possible).  I
haven't found more than passing references to mast cell tumors in all the
ferret references I have.  Please help!

Thanks,

Jennifer, Bonnier & Zoe