From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:13:16 -0400
Dear Rebecca:

>We've been traveling for over a week now and both ferrets have had loose
>stools, but I figured it was from the stress of traveling.  I am begining
>to wonder though...

Well, certainly a lot of traveling is stressful.  I don't really have enough
info to point at a blockage.  Is she off of her food - is she grinding her
teeth - are her stools dark colored?  Has she vomited?

Could she be getting too hot in all of the traveling - are you keeping them
air conditioned all of the time - it's not cool enough in Texas to travel
with them with the windows open.  Just the heat is a stressor.....

If the answer to all except the last question is no, then we don't have any
reason to think blockage at this point.....

>If she does have a blockage are there any alternatives to surgery?

Well, usually not.  I often suggest Laxatone in cases where they are
suspected, about 1 inch twice a day.  For small hair balls, it may help them
pass them, or perhaps very small pieces of latex, etc.  But if they are big
enough for them to get stopped up, it usually won't prevent that......

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology