From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:25:45 -0800
It is truly a "sad" thing that this poor kid had to be returned to the pet
store as now there is a liklihood she will only be killed.  Stores usually
won't risk further liability with a biter ferret.

If only you had tried to find a shelter who could work with her problem.  I
deal with biters all the time, they all have their own very personal and
very different reasons for biting, but usually love and understanding and
patience will eventually win and some of them turn into the sweetest kids!!!

Please go back to that store and ask if they will release her (and the other
biters if they still have them) to a shelter to save their life.  Even if an
employee or someone takes them home, without extended work, these kids may
continue to be biters and those not completely comitted to ferrets often
quit or decide it is hopeless far too soon.  If they are "rescued" today by
someone trying to help, but who does not really know how to deal with
ferrets...especially biters, then six months or a year from now they may
still be in danger of being euthanized.

I have a kid here now who had been through 6 families and back to the
petstore twice because he was a severe biter, he was on his way to be
euthanized when someone intervened and brought him to me instead.  Withing
24 hours he and I became buddies and now he worships the ground I walk on,
he NEVER bites me and wouldn't even think of biting me.  He feels very safe
and very loved here, and knows there is no reason at all for him to bite
now.

Check Pam Grants list to find a club or shelter in your area, or if you
can't locate one, email me again so I can help you locate one, and then we
can find a way to help these kids.

Where are you located?

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter