From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:46:17 -0500
A warning to those persons seeking to purchase advertised ferrets from
private individuals....

we recently received communications form folks regarding a purchase of
advertised ferrets-- and as in anything we stress BUYER BEWARE!  In
todays; age folks are not committed to keeping ppets and while shelters
see scads of ferrets needing medical care llining up at the door- when
the shelters are full the same ferrets will no doubt be sold to
unsuspecting individuals.  According to a communication from our state
agricultural director- it is "Buyer beware" caveat emptor -- KNOW what
to look, for, ask the important questions,,, SEE the vet history records
before you purchase any ferrets!  these folks were not very fortunate as
first time buyers!

 ......I recently purchased two ferrets for my girlfriend for Christmas.
I really didn't know anything about them before I bought them.  After I
brought them back my girlfriend immediately noticed something wrong with
them.  She brought them to the vet and found they both were adrenal and
one had an ulcer.  Both are now on medication and will probably require
operations.  We will help them back to good health in spite of the high
cost.  I feel very cheated though.  I paid 125.00 for them both and was
not informed of any illness at all.  I bought them from a couple in
Nashua, NH. through the Want-AD.  I am ignorant in anything to do with
ferret's so I didn't suspect anything.  The couple supposedly had the
ferrets for 6 months, they also had a pair of chinchillas, one of which
was for sale through the Want-AD.  I was totally duped by these people.

Let's start the New Year off by being a little more ferret "smart" &
Savvy!

Hugs to you all--
Alicia and the many faces at Ferret Wise!

www.ferretwise.org