From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:24:03 -0700
>If a breeder is in error, speak with them directly and encourage that
>they correct their errors.  If they do not heed your advice, then contact
>the proper authorities, act as a witness if needed, and allow the law take
>its course.

Unfortunately, some things are not "correctable" by the authorities.  The
law is very lax when it comes to animal abuse and neglect.  In most (all?)
areas, animals are "property".  What you do with you property is deemed
`o be your business.  Flagrant abuse is generally not tolerated however.
People who are engaging in such behavior will frequently move to an area
that is noted for its lack of animal neglect/abuse enforcement.

As long as an animal is receiving *minimal* care, the authorities will not
step in.  (The inspection reports from Marshall Farms is evidence of this.)
And local authorities may actually endorse a facility with this minimal
care standard.  As long as the animal has food, water, and shelter,
virtually no authority that will touch the situation.

And this is where we fail our companions.  Don't they deserve our love, our
friendship, the touch of our hands, the eye to eye contact, and the ability
to shower us with kisses?  Don't they deserve to live *IN* our homes, not
in a shed or other area where we can't be a part of their life?  Don't they
deserve to have proper food and clean water?  Don't they deserve exercise
which is good for the body AND for the mental state of the animals.  (Ever
seen animals pace at the front of their cage?)

Unfortunately, people who don't agree with this philosophy aren't likely
to listen to any suggestions.

I think that having good ethics goes hand in hand with not tolerating
neglect and abuse. For a good set of shelter standards, see
http://www.oregon-ferret.org/sheltguid.html

    -Carla