From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:07:07 -0400
>The ferret owner has booked the ferret in for insulinoma surgery on the
>22 of June and the vet wants to give prednisolone to the ferret before
>the operation to stabilize the blood sugars.  The person has now asked me
>whether that is a good idea so I thought I post to the list and ask
>whether she should give her ferret pred in the week before the surgery?

I usually do.  Getting the blood sugar more stable is a help for the ferret
dealing with surgery, and can stimulate appetite to build the ferrets body
weight up a bit.  I know some of my colleagues feel differently, but I've
had good luck doing it.  That also helps to prevent an episode before the
surgery.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.