From:
SHARON WOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:32:39 -0700
I too read the Readers' Digest blurb.  You can't take it as something
written by the folks at RD.  It was something someone else found in their
local paper and then was submitted to RD as an example of someone elses'
stupidity.  They have tons of them in the mag.  Even ones of Church
billboards where they put phrases together and it comes out as something
sexual.

The want ad that was submitted said something to the effect of, "to good
home, 1 loving ferret with chewing problems and one free guinea pig
missing an ear." I think it was worded a bit differently to either imply
a lot more strongly that ferret was the one who chewed off the ear, or it
was directly worded that way.

How sad.  I'm not sure whats worse to tell the truth.  The fact is that a
ferret can and will kill, small rodents, birds, and what not if given the
opportunity.  That is a fact that should be known by everyone.  But in a
little blurb like that, it does kinda come off sounding like the ferret
was vicious.  But the real fault, as you and I know, lies with the
owners.  They should have known better.  They should have been paying
attention.  But then again, it was just a blurb of a want ad.  How do we
know it wasn't the fault of the babysitter?  Or house sitter?  Or a small
child?  Thats for us "pro owners" those of us who know better and of
course know everything and never ever make a mistake.  Get real.  There
are truly stupid and cruel people out there who would do something like
that on purpose but they are not the majority.

Frankly I think the ad was worded in as cute a way possible to make
people feel sorry for the Guinea Pig and make the (more knowledgable)
ferret people want the ferret.

The down side is that people who know nothing of ferrets (or a Guinea
Pigs tendency to be very vocal!!!  SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE!) will just think
the ferret was a mean, uncontrollable animal that oozed its evil way into
the Guinea Pig cage and savaged it.  Frankly when it comes to squeek
toys, a living Guinea pig is probably the best thing you could give your
ferret, if you were a cruel and sick person.  Its just a point about how
vocal they are.

Anyway, thats my take on the Readers' Digest blurb.  I've seen plenty of
other animal related ads in there, and have yet to take personal offense.
Its just an indicator of how stupid people can be out there.  Its not a
problem of mine.  I do what I can when I can.

If the blurb bothered anyone so much, why not write an article with the
pros and cons of exotic pet ownership and submit it to RD?  Or write a
personal "love story" of your most personable pet ferret (including some
cleverly hidden "how to take of a ferret" tips).  Make it as tear
wrenching as possible.  I read an article about a chicken with no feet in
there once.  Submit that.  Help change the tide.  Nearly everyone of us
has a love story for a very special ferret.  Maybe someone will have one
good enough for RD.  I think thats a pretty awesome way to go.  Um, now
that I think about RD doesn't have many "pet guide" articles, but they
love personal stories.  So try the "love story" angle.

Sharon
"There is a girl in the Wood-pile!!"