From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:55:34 -0000
Hi all,

The recent discussion regarding the selling/adopting of kits/ferrets at
shows really caught my attention.  First of all, I am NOT a breeder (tried
that back in 1986 and discovered that I have a flaw--I could not part with
the babies, yep-kept them all!).  I started counting the number of ferrets
that I would actually have in my care if I would not have purchased/adopted
them from a ferret show or a pet store.  Out of my current 16, I would have
4.  Three are rescues and one was presented to me as a gift.  If it is wrong
for me to purchase or adopt from the breeders/shelters at shows, then I
would not have the wonderful experience of being greeted every day by
Merlin's kisses, Coco's ability to bounce over a foot high repeatedly and is
without a doubt one of the most docile ferrets I have ever encountered, AC's
learning to adapt and get along with others when before he came here he was
prone to attack any other ferret he saw, Gonzo's beautiful disposition and
kisses,  Dweezil's cute little face and her "I'm better than thou" attitude,
and Sinbad's klutzy maneuvers and his "dead" to the world sleeping habits.

If it is wrong for me to purchase (in reality-rescued) from pet stores, then
I would not have the enjoyment of receiving Harley's multitude of daily
kisses and watching him as he "struts" through the house, watching tiny,
petite little 1 lb Scooter hold her own against the big boys, rescue Rusty
from his many misadventures due to his being 110% ferret, removing Fancy
from the kitchen counter at least 20 times daily and watching her do her
little double twist as she runs around the room, enjoy Frosty's exuberence
for life as she bounces, twists and hops across the floor and give thanks to
Hot Rod for not allowing me to remain wallowing in sorrow over the loss of
Gismo and for his teaching Drexel how to be a ferret.

Ferret shows are events where ferret people can meet and talk ferret.  They
are intended to be somewhat of a social event but aren't they really for the
ferrets?  If one wishes to socialize maybe one should go to his/her local
country club and hob nob it with the not so rich and famous.  I have learned
so much from attending shows.  I will admit, a few years back I was "ferret
illiterate".  It was due to my going to a show to purchase a quality ferret
that I began to realize that I needed an education.  The breeders and
shelter operators hold a world of information in their grasp and they
willingly share the information with others.

I can't agree that a lot of impulse buying occurs at the shows.  Most people
who attend the shows are interested in ferrets or else they wouldn't be
there, do you think I go to the local dog or cat shows just to see what is
going on, no, I have better things to do with my time.  I had plans to
purchase/adopt a ferret while attending a show before ever leaving my home.
Most often, arrangements had been made prior to my arrival at a show.  I
can't answer for everyone, but I feel that as the majority of us work, it
would be somewhat inconvenient if not cost prohibitive to drive (as in my
case) several hundred miles to check out a new litter that a breeder has for
sell.  It is difficult for me to take time off from work as it is, people
expect law enforcement personnel to be there when needed.  I don't have the
option or perogative to travel freely as do some.

Shows are a wonderful place to see what each breeder has to offer.  I would
not have the opportunity to view what was on the market should ferret
sales/adoptions no longer be allowed at shows.  Pictures are not the same.
Without the sales/adoptions, the shows would be lacking something.  I agree
that it is stressful for the ferrets, but most people who are bitten at
shows are bitten through their own stupidity, myself included.  A little
jill took a big bite out of my finger at one of the shows, was it her fault,
nope, mine- I stuck my finger in the cage which clealy displayed a "Do not
put your fingers in cage" and I knew better, wouldn't, couldn't and ain't
gonna blame her nor the breeder nor the show.  As I said before, I am not a
breeder, the whole ferrets that I purchase from a breeder will be
spayed/neutered.  My ferrets are a part of my family.  If I should wish to
purchase/adopt a ferret at a show in the future I hope that there will be
some for me to choose from .

<Scott here weighing in with my $.02>

There has been talk of "profit/pocket book thinking" most breeders that we
know of don't make any profit, they do it to improve the lines.  Most
shelters don't shelter for a profit, they do it for the ferrets.  Yes, a few
shelters near large population centers are full, however, many shelters are
running a waiting list.

To single out any type of ferret exposure as bad or improper is quite
frankly "stinkin thinkin". There are many people that would never have the
joy of a ferret in their lives if not for the impulse buy at the pet store.
Most people try to do the best they can, to deny them the opportunity to
experience the joy of ferrets is not ours to call.

For the ferrets
Margaret, Scott and the 16 fuzzy family members
Exclusively Ferrets
Please see our tribute sit at  http://exclusivelyferrets.com/tribute.htm