From:
Sandi Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:26:23 -0600
Risa said it so well.We shelters need help all year,not just holidays.
Thosethat have even weekly help are so truely blessed.

As I'm the only registered shelter in this entire state,it makes for a
full house.There's no way I can do all of the ferrets on my own.I'm ever
so thankful for the help of Denise whom has opened her heart/home to help
the ferrets in the North end of the state.She too is full.

We both work full time jobs,have families & no help.Sad but true.I've had
fliers up at all vets offices,ads in papers for years & nobody even wants
to volunteer.I do have some wonderful ladies who make sure my shelter
never needs beddings.That in itself is a blessing.

Most of my shelter now consists of older kids,lots of hospice ones.Ones
that I know will die if they were to leave here.And they know they have
not only my heart but a forever home here.

I know there are some on this list that are within a couple hours of
driving time.Can't you offer to come clean cages,scoop poop just one day
a month even?

I'm going thru more medical stuff.As we age,it seems as tho our bodies
start going downhill.This is true for me.This year has been a hellish
one & is still continueing.As I had major surgery in the last of Sept.I
had to have a wonderful adopted sister to come sit with the shelter,even
tho she had a sick hubby to tend to herself.She came & stayed for almost
3 weeks.Without her,I'd been lost and the ferrets sure would have.
However,she also drove for 5 hours,one way to be able to help me as no
none on a local level was willing to do so.No body came & helped her do
anything.She saw,did what I go thru on a daily basis.

I do what I do for the love of the ferrets.Simple as that.I'm not out to
win a popularity contest.I know all people will not agree nor even like
one another.But if we all have the common love of the ferrets to bond
us,then we can overcome the dislike & do what needs to be done to help
ferrets.

I get up at 4 a.m. most days.Do the meds/soup & clean cages of that
rotation.Leave for work by 6 a.m.I have 2 rooms of ferrets & they get
free roam in there.I have 17 cages to clean twice daily.Meds twice daily
for most.I get home from work about 4 p.m. & do it again.And again at
9 p.m..Thelast of the rotations.

This doesn't leave much time to try to do ebay,return calls,run errands,
do shelter book keeping,ect.My office is a mess as I have no help.And I
don't care.One day a fairy will blink & it'll be done.:)  The ferrets
come first as long as I'm able to do for them.

So,yes,even a day of help is a blessing.Or to sponser a older ferret in
need.Lord knows,we all have those.

Go to your local shelter,help as you're able to do.The shelter op will be
blessed to have you.

--
Sandi
Heaven Scent Ferret Rescue/Shelter