From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:22:52 EST
Hi, Well its been a long time since I posted, many things going on around
here.

first off thanks to Carol O. Ada G. and Batty Patty for sending fabric
for our fabric drive, we will be sewing soon, stuff for the shelter kids
and some things for fundraising!  The shelter now has a sewing machine,
donated by our great friends, Ed and Sandy's daughter.  But I can't sew,
lol.  so other shelter folks will be sewing for the shelter.

Also thanks to Risa for sending a great box of ferret sleep sacks and
bedding for the shelter kids.

so much is happening.  I got the flu real bad, ended up in the emergency
room, almost had to be put in the hospital, I missed a weeks worth of
work and it lingered another week.  Many of the shelter kids got it and
we lost a few more old timers to it.  But my vet found a human flu med
that we started using and it helped save many lives.

Annie Bones, my special baby got it bad and ended up in the hospital too.
shes doing great now, but gave me a big scare.  Thankfully its all over
now for the most part.  My little 10 yr old Chyna Monkey has it now, so
I'"m really worried about her, but she is a fighter and is kicking it
pretty good.

We ended 2003 taking in 340 ferrets, and so far this year 22 have come
in.  Adoptions are going pretty well so its keeping the shelter right
under 100 ferrets.  We have 30 in foster homes, and over 50 older ferrets
that are perminent residents.

One of our little old times, Burrr, had her whole rear leg amputated last
week, a tumor engulfed her entire leg.  The surgery was a success and she
is going great.  We sent the leg in to determine the status of the tumor.
We are hoping its not cancer.

i'm still with out a truck, the old ferret mobile has blown a head
gasket, so I have been with out wheels since early January.  Its looking
like the truck may be fixed soon, I'm going to be doing my taxes soon and
hoping there is enough comming back to get it up and running again.  If i
didn't owe a ton on it, I would push it off a cliff, lol.

Thanks to Kelly, Dave and Cindy, my chauffers, I have been able to get to
and from work and bring the ferrets to the vet every Monday.  They have
been my lifesavers and true friends, to me and the shelter kids.

also to clarify a post made earlier this week, we are not doing adoptions
at Petco anymore.  I work at a Petsmart where the shelter has the
adoption center all to the ferrets and we do the adoptions from there.
Its been a great success having the ferrets there for adoption.  And it
keeps people from comming to my home.  I'm home alone and not keen on
having strangers around.  Plus I don't want anymore germs entering the
shelter and the ferrets getting the flu again and again.  We do have
visitors, they are always welcome, but just people you don't know all
the time is not good.

We also have our 5th annual Pet A Palooza event comming up March 27th.
We will be there with our giant booth with the ferrets and having a great
time.  I'll post more on that as the time nears.

Also Kelly is holding a yard sale the first weekend of March to help with
our $1,500 vet bill.  If you live in Las Vegas and have any junk we'll
take it!  One last big thank you to Hildy for donating the wonderful
items for the Valentines SOS raffle, the proceeds to be split with our
shelter and SOS.  Thank you so very much.  Also thanks to SOS for having
the raffle and to everyone who bought tickets for it, thank you, thank
you, thank you!!!

Ok, i'm sure I'm forgetting someting, but I guess thats all for now!

Take care,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"