From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:39:51 +0800
Let's not get bogged down on semantics.  A "natural diet" refers to the
diet we are able to provide that is as close as we can get to the known
diet of polecats in the wild.  ie small whole prey and/or raw meaty bones
with occasional offal.  We probably can't provide exactly the same diet,
but close enough that the ferrets reap the same benifits, eg, good dental
health

A "processed diet" is one that is dried, heated, minced, ground, added to
or otherwise chemically changed from small whole prey or parts of prey.

Historically, it has already been proven that a "natural diet" is the
best food for wild polecats because they are still thriving in an
otherwise changing world.  They do not suffer from adrenal disease,
insulinoma or periodontal disease.  They die of predation, injury or
starvation.  Ferrets that are provided with a "natural diet" can have
the same good health but their incidence of predation, injury and
starvation are reduced because they are protected by their carers.
It is not yet known or shown what the cut-off point is.  ie How long
does a ferret have to be on a processed diet for its future health to
be affected?  To play it safe, I would like to see ferrets on a natural
diet as early as possible.

If a ferret eats a mouse instead of a frog or fish, I doubt that it would
have much impact on its health even in the long term.  There would also
be other variables to consider.  eg In the lead-up to winter, the prey
that polecats eat would have a larger percentage of fat from the prey
animals that have stored fat for the lean times ahead.  This would also
assist the polecat itself to store fat for winter.  Most pet ferrets are
protected from extremes of temperature so these dietary requirements
would not be so important to them.

I feel that as long as you do what you feel is the best for your
ferret(s), that's fine.  If you feel that putting a ferret through dental
surgery on a regular basis, adrenal surgery (sometimes more than once)
and/or pancreatic surgery, or having implants put in to prevent disease,
so be it.  That is your choice.  If you can afford the vet fees and you
feel that is what's best for your ferrets(s), go with it.

If you would like to try to see if a more natural diet and habitat
causes an improvement in the overall good health of your ferret(s),
try the "big 3":

1. Natural diet
2. Access to natural lighting
3. Freedom from cages