From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 16:09:16 -0500
>From:    Steve Stem <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Has anyone tried to hold new ferret owner sessions
>(like once a month) through a pet store?  I can't imagine why a pet store
>wouldn't try to promote the sessions....

You're absolutely right about 1st time ferret owners not receiving adequate
information w/their purchase.  & most (not all) pet shops are not responsive
to having a knowledgeable representative do presentations about ferrets in
their store.  The reason being, their customers might not be told what the
pet shop is promoting.

For instance, if the pet shop only sells a particular kind of ferret food
(the one w/the highest gross profit margin - I did have 1 shop owner tell me
that face-to-face after repeatedly claiming his reasoning being the ferrets'
health & well being) & promotes shavings as bedding, they don't want their
customers being told otherwise.  Telling a customer ferrets shouldn't be
kept in tanks when that's the way to pet store presents them doesn't go over
well.

Bottom line - it's a business to make a profit & the animals are 1 of their
retail stock items.  Unfortunately, their knowledge about ferrets
(especially in areas where they have just been legalized for sale) can run
anywhere from completely ignorant to those who will tell the customer
whatever they want to hear to make the sale.

The following represents statements I have received while browsing & are my
biggest concerns:
- It's been vaccinated. [a completely incomplete statement]
- It uses a litter box just like a cat.
- It's a perfect pet for kids.

Equally important is what new owners aren't told, including...
- ferretproofing
- annual medical checkups & vaccinations
- socialization (working w/nippy little kits)
- obstructions

On the other side are the responsible owners who do care about their live
stock.   They welcome & refer their customers to various pet organizations.
The only way to find out is to approach the owner/manager.  I've been
fortunate to know 1 of these rare few.  & it wasn't the owner (who I really
don't think cared unless it affected his bottom-line), but the manager.
This concerned individual not only invited us w/open arms, she advertises &
promotes our visits.
                         *************

Parrots of the World, Rockville Centre, NY

Late last year I responded to a post about where to get ferrets in NY & I
responded w/Parrots of the World.  At one time this store was bright,
uncluttered, & clean w/well cared for apparently health animals, mostly
large expense birds.  This is where I got my 1st ferret Gus 11 years ago.

My post was responded to by several people who said the store had become an
abomination.  So while I was in NY in Dec I went to check it out.  It had
become dimly lit & cluttered.  There was a lot of litter on the floor, which
is understandable w/so many large birds out in the open & it was late in the
day.

I think what upset me most were the very exotic monkeys & reptiles I had
never heard of for sale.  I know that he has the right to sell whatever he
wants & customers have the same right to buy, but experience has shown us
that most people don't have the 1st clue how to properly care for these
exotics & that in the long term most of them are abandoned or die.  This is
my own personal concern, enough said.

I was less than impressed w/the way the ferrets were kept.  They were in a
standard (2 1/2'?) vet-type kennel w/raised stainless wire floor & only a
litter box in the center.  There were pine shavings under the raised wire.
The ferrets were sleeping in the litter box & pooping in the corners.  The
fuzzies were fluffy, bright-eyed & playful, overall they look very healthy.
I didn't handle them because I had to leave - I was feeling claustrophobic.

I called the owner at the store the next day.  I suggested he might have
better luck w/the litter box if he would push it into the corner.  He said
that's were they slept.  I then explained to him about the postings I had
received & how to better set them up w/cloth bedding & using the litter pan
as a litter pan to prepare them for what their owners would expect of them.
He was very professional & courteous & said he would consider making changes
to the way they're kept.  He says he a ferret owner BTW.

If any of you are in that area, I'd appreciate an update to know if he
followed through.

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo