From:
David Hathaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:58:00 +0900
Good evening, everybody.

I'm sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I've been lurking for a
couple of days now, and I just wanted to tell you all about my two
lovely little girls.

At the beginning of May, I bought my first ferret.  She's a
smaller-than-average three-month-old female.  I decided to call her
Jasmine because she smells so wonderful to me!  The problem was that,
as a graduate student here in Tokyo, I have to be away from my apartment
for most of the day.  I was afraid that little Jas was getting lonely so,
last Thursday, I bought her a friend.  The new lady's called Jade.  She's
slightly larger than Jasmine, but they seem to get on fine.  There were
no problems at all when Jade moved in.  It took her a few hours to find
and master the litter tray, but Jas showed her how, and now there's no
stopping her.

I totally agree with the person who said that ferrets were addictive.
I'm now considering buying a third, but hopefully common sense will
dissuade me.  Much as I'd like to, my apartment isn't too large, and I
want to give my ladies as much love and attention as possible.

I just wanted to say that I've fallen totally in love with my two little
ladies, and can't imagine what life was like without them.  Although
they're Path Valleys, they were raised in Japan, so they're just starting
to learn English.  Instead of saying "no" when Jas nipped too hard, I had
to say "dame," which is the closest Japanese equivalent.  I'm sure
they'll pick up my language quickly, though.

I have to take them both to the local ferret vet later this week for
Jasmine's second and Jade's first booster shot, so we'll see how they
like Tokyo at rush hour.  Fortunately, people give me lots of room when
they see that I'm carrying a basket full of ferrets <smile>.

I'm really enjoying being a member of the FML.  It's nice to see that
there are so many other like-minded people out there!

Mata ne (bye for now),
David.