From:
christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:05:04 -0800
Ferret Greetings,

Just my two cents on ferrets and children.  From my own experience, kids and
pets can get along well or not get along at all.

My five-year-old son can now be trusted to watch the ferrets for a few
minutes if I need him to while I take out the garbage or clean the cage, but
he had to earn that trust.  He is still reminded not to chase after the
fuzzies if he does not want an occasional playful nip.  He is very careful
not to hurt them, but this took constant supervision and teaching and he is
still supervised.  Sebastian has been around ferrets since he was born.  My
hubby bought me an albino ferret when I was pregnant.  It was three weeks
until my due date, but Sebastian arrived early.  He must have known we
bought a ferret.  Anyway, when Rufus was out Sebastian was not on the floor
or in a position where Rufus could get to him.  I let Rufus and Sebastian
meet and check eachother out but only when I was right there.  Never a
problem.  From the start Sebastian has been taught what is acceptable and
what is not.

Pets can be a very good way to teach children responsibility and compassion
for animals.  But adults must be willing to take on the responsibility of
supervising and teaching children.  Sebastian now helps take care of the
fuzzies and will sometimes even tell me feeding them is his responsibility.

Sorry this is long, but I don't think children should be deprived of pet
ferrets based solely on the fact that they are children.  I wasn't and my
son isn't and it is working out very well.  Remember, any animal has the
capability of harming someone when not treated well by anyone.  It is a
decision each parent must make for themselves based on their experiences and
the children's temperment.

Hope everyone is enjoying the winter holiday season and has a Happy New
Year.

Fuzzy hugs,

Donelle and the crowd in Washington, Ill.