Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:08:16 EDT
Poor Cheyenne The Birdie Slayer!!!!  My little Maggie did that last year,
she wasn't even a year old and she was here less than a month when she
de-ferretproofed the cockatiel cage and got inside and tried to play with
them (My 11 other ferrets were never able to manage this).  Needless to
say, they didn't last very long (just for the record, there wasn't a mark
on either of them, she actually scared them to death)....I was quite
heartbroken as I loved those birds a lot, but then I realized that it
wasn't Maggie's fault at all, it was mine, I failed my birds and Maggie
by not properly supervising her while she was out in a new environment
and that is my burden, not Maggie's.  I could not in good conscience
punish her she was just being a ferret.  I find it tragic that her mommy
wants to get rid of her for her natural "ferrety" tendencies.

PEOPLE should not blame ANIMALS for their natural inclinations....if you
let a ferret (or any other predator animals) anywhere near a prey animal
(birds, mice, etc.).  THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!!!  It's the natural
progression of things....that pesky food chain thing if you will.
Cheyenne's better off in her old/new home if her other mom cannot grasp
this simple concept.

****OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER*** (so no flames)  Not every "predator" will
kill a "prey" animal, true, but that doesn't mean I am going to let
the ferrets play with the cockatiels again.

Lisa and The Diabolical Dozen