From:
Heidi Lepak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 11:36:08 -0400
Last year we had 4 ferrets, the most we ever had.  I too like to be
able to financially handle the vet bills as we all know there are many
diseases prevalent in ferrets.

Rocki at the time was almost 7 and the youngest was 2.  My husband
calculated that is the youngest lived to 8, which is the average old age,
it would make us 61 at that time.  He said, I don't think we should get
any more ferrets after this, so that we will be able to travel and not
have the responsibility of taking care of ferrets.  Though he as well as
I love them dearly.

The Rocki got sick, Had a cancerous kidney removed.  Then we struggled
with insulinoma for 8 months.  He finally crossed the bridge on autopsy
it turned out that he was full of cancer in other organs by that time.

A month later, a friend of mine who runs a shelter came for dinner with
her husband.  She brought Dexie with her.  He was only about 1.  I had
fallen in love with him when I had seen him at the shelter before, but I
had controlled myself.  $ was enough.  But now it was my husband who saw
him and said.........hm maybe he could have a "sleep over" and spend the
night......or two.  I knew he was taken.  Dexie has now been with us for
almost a year, Making him about 2.  And us even older when the time comes.

I think I always will have at least one ferret.  I love them dearly.  I
don't think I could exist without them.  But as I get older, the
responsibility of more would be too much.  There was a time when I only
had one, and as long as there is tons of human contact, I don't think a
companion ferret is necessary.

I can just picture myself.  At 90 still cleaning up poops and giving
ferret treats to my little loves.

Come see our ferrets...
www.geocities.com/huronna