From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 09:04:02 -0400
To Kristeen and other central NJ ferret folk:

I usually prefer to adopt from a shelter, or rescue an unwanted ferret, but
I just want to put in a plug for the Petland discounts in South Plainfield
where she saw the huge ferrets.  I just recently bought an "older" ferret
baby from them in February.  He had been there since he came in as a baby
in late October.  They sell Marshall Farm ferrets.

The people who run this store truly love ferrets.  They are kept in a large
open top glass enclosure with screening on top so they can get good air
circulation.  They can't provide blankies, but they are kept in what looks
like recycled paper litter that is pretty cozy.  I have NEVER seen the
water bottle or food dish empty.  When the teeny guys come in, the food is
moistened.

More importantly, I've seen the results of them working with "problem
children" who were very nippy when they came in, to get them to the point
of being real sweethearts.  They keep the socialization up, so any older
ferret that is sold is still cuddly and sweet.  There have been a few real
nippers who they kept working with, to make them into good pets.  They are
also careful to sell the ferrets who are challenging to homes who have
experience.  Several ferrets have been bought by store employees who have
ferret experience.  They do not just return the ferret to Marshall Farms
to be euthanized, they stick with them.

Once a ferret nipped a kid who put his fingers in where he shouldn't have.
They did what should be done.  They did not send them back to Marshalls or
euthanize them.  They simply worked with Animal Control, and quarantined
the ferrets for ten days.  Then they brought them out to be sold again,
after they had been cleared.

Kristeen, you will not regret buying a ferret from these folks.  I've only
bought the one, but I'm in there all the time.  I go to the nearby Dollar
Tree, and always stop in to see the fuzzies when I go.  I support the store
by buying ferret stuff from them, including 8 in 1 Ultimate whenever I
need it.

Melodyt and the terrific ten