From:
Roger Mcmillian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:28:10 -0700
>I would not suggest exposing any ferret to ECE of any age...

>Nope, I'd never purposely expose a ferret to it.  Never.  Not even one.

>Pam Grant addressed a very interesting concept several days ago on the FML
>concerning ECE.

>Prevention, not exposure, is the best method of protecting your pet from
>virulent diseases.

Since the origin of this disease has yet to be positively identified, it's
careless, at best to assume that exposure will bring about an immunity.
I've worked in a ferret shelter for 6 years and during the time we've had
ECE in ours, I've seen ferrets come down with repeat occurrances.  There is
no "cure" for this supposed 'virus' yet, only treatment for the symptoms.A
ferret, once affected, must also be considered a carrier.  I'm not a vet,
but I wouldn't rule out any mode of contact until it is positively
identified.  I've seen ferrets that have had no physical contact come down
with it just from being in the same room.  New arrivals to our shelter are
kept in a separate room, and handled by someone with no contact with
affected ferrets.  the rooms are not totally isolated from each other,but we
take very strong measures to disinfect ourselves and the playpens between
each 'shift' of playtimes.  We even have a HEPA air filter in the room with
the affected ferrets.  Still newcomers may come down with it.

I for one do not advocate exposing ferrets to this ECE , just to get it over
with.  Prevention is the only way, until a cause and cure are positinely
identified.

Roger McMillian

 http://www.ix.netcom.com/~gravidyn/hotlinks.html