From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:26:59 -0700
We have had 10 surrenders come in since Sat.  I have 5 more scheduled in
the next 3 days.  I thank God for the wonderful volunteers Rocky's has
that makes their stay in the shelter a short one.

One little guy tonite has got my attention.  I am taking a break before I

He is 20 weeks old.  I think, even after a good bathing, that he is either
Sable or Deep Cinnamon.  It's going to take quite a few baths to degrease
him.  He was incredibly filthy and greasy..  Probably from the butter on
the corn-on-the-cobs that were tossed into his cage for him to eat by his
rescuer.  They didn't know any better.

Thank God for business cards.  Somebody that had one of our cards,
overheard the rescuer telling the story about this little guy in a bar.

The rescuer knew the owner casually.  They lived in the same apartment
building.  He witnessed the owner, repeatedly hitting this ferret in the
nose.  He witnessed the owner's young daughter swinging it by the tail
and smacking it repeatedly into a wall.  When these wonderful owners
went on vacation they turned it loose in the hallways of the apartment
building.  The rescuer had it for a couple weeks, then given our business
card, called me.

The little guy's teeth are chipped.  It has a wound consistent with a
cigarette burn.  Somebody decided it needed a haircut and took a pair of
scissors to it's coat in about a 2" area.  It's head tilts when he looks
at me.

He does monkey paws and holds onto me so tight.  He seemed to love his
bath and his ears being clean.  He didn't flinch when he got his distemper
or his nails trimmed.  He didn't react when I cut his nail too short for
an ADV test.  He is so de-sensitized.  Yep, they taught this little guy
not to nip.  We are Vet bound ASAP!  Say prayers he survives, he is
emaciated.  If humans could get ADV, then I have it... he returned my
kisses.  Guess I have to gargle with parvocide, so be it.

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand.

Barbara Clay
Director of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
www.gfme.com/ferretrescue

PLEASE ALL SHELTERS AND FERRET OWNERS TEST FOR ADV - IT'S REAL AND NOT
SOME CONSPIRACY THEORY TO BENEFIT LABS!!!  DONATE TO ADV RESEARCH