Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:19:35 -0800
>cages, by necessity, are not large, in most shelters--and short-term,
>it`s OK--but long-term, they need more space!!! Also, most shelter ferts
>are housed alone, unless they come in together--(correct me, if I`m
>wrong here!)

Our shelter has the luxury of being able to provide a large play area,
12' x 10' for our "adoptable" ferrets and a smaller 6' x 8' for our older
and adrenal ferrets (because they don't play as long or as hard as the
rest.)  After quarantine and vaccinations we do put new ferrets in with
existing groups so that they all have friends to play with and also so
that we have fewer cages to clean.  There is the occasional ferret who
doesn't seem to like any of the other ferrets who is housed alone, but
that's the exception, rather than the rule.

We have the luxury, that many other shelters may not have, of being able
to allow our ferrets to choose how much time they want to play.  It's
only when all have gone back to sleep, that we put them back into their
cage and let the next group out. :-)

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org