From:
Stevi Deter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:26:09 -0700
Last weekend, I noticed that my male ferret, Fresno, had lost a large patch
of hair over his right shoulder blade, and had some bleeding in the area.
I checked all the FAQs I could find.  I was hopeful that it wasn't an
adrenal problem, since it sounded like the first signs would be hair loss
around the tail.  I couldn't find any evidence of fleas or any other
infestation.  Concerned, I made a vet appointment.  Due to work schedules,
my roommate took Fresno in.

The vet told him that she suspected that Fresno had scratched off an
external tumor.  She told him not to be concerned, but to keep an eye on
the area and bring Fresno back in if a tumor regrew so she could remove it.
The hair loss was from trauma to the site from him scratching so much, and
that the hair should regrow.

Not having seen this discussed in any FAQs, I thought I'd pass this along
to the list.  According to the vet, Dr. Brenda Gurule at AllPets in
Boulder, CO, commented that ferrets are "tumor factories."

For anyone in the Boulder area, I highly recommend Dr. Gurule as a vet for
your fuzzies.  She's got a great 'bedside manner,' and works as well with
the ferrets' pet humans as with the ferrets themselves.  AllPets is also an
excellent clinic, and will board your fuzzies if needed (just be sure to
make reservations early!).  Their main weakness is that although they are
a 24-hour clinic, they don't have someone on at all times who will treat
ferrets.  In off-hour emergencies, they'll refer you to the Emergency Pet
Clinic, with whom I've also had a positive experience.

--Stevi
  Fresno - whyohwhy won't you let me off this weird metal table?
  Nusa - why does he get to go somewhere new to explore and i have to
         stay home?

For pictures, see http://www.frii.com/~stevi/ferrets.html