Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 21:20:17 EDT
Hello,

I just found out that my 7 1/2 year old Gandalf has insulinoma.  His older
brother Bandit has had this for going on three years now, but their
symptoms are quite different.  Anyway, Gandy's bg today was 37 -- VERY low.
My vet recommends surgery, but also advised that Gandy's liver enzymes are
also off which may indicate that the cancer has spread to his liver.  He
said that if he went in and found that to be the case, then he wouldn't
proceed as it would be pointless.  Now I fully realize that the optimal
treatment for insulinoma is surgery.  Bandit had his when he was first
diagnosed, but he had just turned five and was in great shape.  Like I
said, Gandy is 7 1/2, and is rather frail.

I'm having a hard time making a decision on surgery.  On one hand, I feel
like not giving him the chance with surgery is like giving him a certain
death sentence, since the cancer will surely continue to spread.  On the
other hand, it seems like a lot of stress to put an old guy through and I
wonder how much time and quality of life it would actually give him.  I
guess I should clarify that if I opt not to have surgery, I would treat him
with pred/diazoxide, which is what Bandit takes now.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or experiences you guys may have had
in a similar situation.

Thanks, Lucie
                        @-"-@
                    o00 -\o/- 00o