Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:45:24 EDT
Hello everyone

I was going through my sons school papers from last year (just a little
behind) and putting some of them in a scrapbook I'm making for him.  I
thought I would share this story.  I don't think I've ever talked about
this fuzzy baby because it is still a sore subject.

Baby, was actually our second ferret.  We bought her for Kyle.  She was
so tiny and so beautiful, a Panda I think is what the white face is
called.  My son was so excited.  That night we brought her home, put her
in Kyle's room, fed and watered her.  She kept crying off and on, like
she was in pain.  She vomited once, and had diarrhea a couple of times.
Early the next morning we took her to a vet that took care of exotics.
Baby's temp.  was 105.0.  The vet said she was dehydrated and did what's
called a "Parvo Snap Test".  She said Baby had Parvo, and it was fatal.
Not knowing that much about ferrets at the time, we followed her advice
and had her euthanized.  Also, not knowing how this was done with ferrets
we excepted her explanation that ferret veins we "too small" to stick,
so she had to do a "heart stick".  We were all devastated, especially my
son.  I was even more devastated when I began searching for answers and
found out more about what we had done.  I told the vet that was I on a
quest for knowledge, not to blame or accuse, but for both of us to learn.
She never returned any of my phone calls or emails.

Anyway, this is where "Big Blue Sky" comes in.  Six months later Kyle's
class was supposed to write a poem.  This is what he wrote:

   Big Blue Sky
Over the peaceful mountains,
By the flowing fountains,
In a small house,
A small ferret dies.
To the big blue sky,
Up my ferret goes,
On life goes,
There my little ferret lives.
  by Kyle    In memory of Baby, I'll never forget.

For Kyle's birthday we bought Boomer and Tinker.  Now, he enjoys the
little nips Tinker gives him on the leg when she wants him to play, and
the way Boomer will snuggle and give sweet kisses in his ear.

"We love you Baby"
Charissa and the gang-Bart, Boomer, Tinker, and Frankie