From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:55:00 -0700
>From:  Dayna Frazier[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>The great FOOD CONTROVERSY...
>All those statistics are all fine well and good but cat food is made for
>cats and ferret food is made for ferrets!  There is a reason these two types
>of foods are labelled and recommended for the applicable species..  ...
>Ferrets have a three hour digestive tract time..  Cats have a five to six
>hour digestive tract time....

-snip- (She goes on, but this seems the main thrust of her argument -
right?)

Hmmmm...Dayna, you make some really interesting points here.  I do have one
question, though...it seems to me that the diet of a small North African
wildcat and an original Polecat would have been quite similar - small furry
animals, mostly herbivore!  The wild kitties would have been eating mostly
rodents and such, the polecat rabbits and the odd
groundhog/gopheroid...would there really have been much difference?

I've been using IAMS kitten...the guys seem to like it a lot, protein and
fat are high, sources of protein are meat-based, I never gave it much
thought.  The dudes seem to hate 8-n-1, which I can get...hmmm

Can anyone else confirm or deny Dayna's arguments regarding timed release of
nutrients?  Not a slur on Dayna, mind you, it's just that I've not heard
this particular argument before.  If true, it's a major concern!