From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:08:58 -0500
The Killians write:
>He's not that big.

Two thousand breeding ferrets in spring 1997 (his own number--I certainly
saw hundreds) dwarfs most breeders talked about here except the big
commercial farms.  This is a one-man operation.

>Where?  I have NEVER heard of a case.

I have.

>These shelters are so over whelmed by the numbers of their two primary
>charges that all others get really unfortunate treatment.

Dead is dead, regardless of what is happening to other animals.

>Its still a distribution problem.  Your own arguments point out the
>regional nature of the problem.  Your particular region has problems
>unique to that area.  I know of no other region with quite the same
>problem.

A problem is a problem whether it is regional or national.  Do you have any
suggestions on how to deal with distribution issues?

Through this list, we have seen situations where new homes/shelters have
had to be found for 100 or more ferrets because of the closing of shelters
or breeders.  It is a difficult time consuming process, and many of the
ferrets remain for extended periods of time in overcrowded shelters because
of "distribution problems".  What happens when the numbers needing homes
increase by a factor or 2 or 3, or even 10?

The problem of unwanted ferrets may be small compared to dogs and cats, but
it exists nevertheless.  As members of the ferret community, we need to do
our utmost to discourage careless breeding as well as educate potential
owners.  Every ferret deserves a good home.

Linda Iroff
Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter
Oberlin, Ohio
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html