From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 15:05:14 -0500
Okay, a neighbor got one of our letters so today I got a letter from Iowa
dept of Public Health.  It's from Russell W, Currier, DVM, Environmental
Epidemiologist:

"1. Ferrets and post-exposure rabies management would be my responsibility
shared with state epidemiologist Dr. Patricia Quinlisk.

2. We will observe ferrets after publication of the 1998 Compendium."

He does not say if that means after receipt of the written Compendium, which
was mailed out last week, or if he means as of 1998, or if he means that
they will then begin their proceedings to change state policy at that point,
so it might be in effect now (since the '98 Compendium should have been
received), go into effect in January, or go into effect after the paper work
is done -- which could be as late as March '98 (going from the time frame
found by Troy Lynn for a state where the dept.s are by law not permitted to
do the paper work until after the Compendium goes into effect).

An Iowa quarantine activist might want to call 1-515-281-4988 and straighten
this out for all of us, then post the expected time frame (also please send
same to: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] -- all of which are monitoring and
reporting on the changes to others as well.  If you call or write, remember
the most important thing: BE POLITE.  YOU NEED THE COOPERATION OF THESE
PEOPLE.  Remember that they are bound by state law in when and how they can
proceed and that they WANT to proceed toward quarantine times which places
them in AGREEMENT with us.  Since he indicated elsewhere that he was
perplexed by some other questions I think we can assume that Iowa won't be
one of the odd-states-out which have state law giving local health
departments the ability to ignore state policies (Have only heard of two so
far which might have such laws.  Troy Lynn says KS does, and Ilena says that
she received a confusing reply which might indicate that N.Y.  might.  Where
these exist activists will have to see that local dept.s get copies of the
studies and of the compendium.  It's a pain, but it's essential in such
cases.

If anyone else needs to be on the recipient list for these postings, let me
know.  Will have to decide on the final resting point for all letters later.

Sukie

Have not gotten the recorded ferret carols back and don't know if will get
them in time, so Steve's holiday card is on
http://skunk.research.att.com/yule.html