From:
An Internet Solution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:10:34 -0700
For those of you who have been asking, here is the latest on Rocky in CA:

Rocky's Lawsuit -We've Taken the First Step.

For those of you who have followed the story about Rocky, my ferret who was
killed on January 8th by orders of the Health Department, here is the
latest.

Our quest for justice may be getting somewhere.

After considerable shopping, I have selected an attorney in San Diego,
George Weingarten to represent me, Ferrets Anonymous and all ferret
enthusiasts in a lawsuit.

I met with Mr.Weingarten for about 90 minutes to discuss the case, and gave
him all my documentation.  He is the only civil rights attorney listed in
the San Diego yellow pages, and I checked out his referenences.  I feel
very good about what has happened so far.

We are discussing a lawsuit against the San Diego County Department of
Health in Federal Court for "Conspiracy to Violate Civil Rights." Other
state and county agencies could be added as well.  We could also get an
injunction against those laws that prohibit ferret ownership in California.

The basis for a lawsuit seems very strong.  Most attornies I spoke to could
not get past the "ferrets are illegal" part.  Mr. Weingarten received the
information of the recent lawsuit against the Fish and Game Commission by
Marshall Farms, and could see that there is a major problem in the banning
of ferrets in California.

In addition, in last year's case, The People of the State of California vs
Patrick Wright, the people added the day before the trial a charge against
me of "possessing a wild animal (ferret) without a permit."  They later
dropped that charge and admitted that ferrets are domestic!

A year later they killed Rocky, saying they were following procedures for
wild animals.

Based on what happened a year ago, and what happened with Rocky, it seems
clear to everyone that there is a clear pattern of harassment, and an effort
to stifle those of us who are working to change our state's policy on
ferrets.

I wrote Mr. Weingarten a $600 check that I had to postdate.  Neither my
finances nor Ferrets Anonymous finances would cover that check right now.

I am asking anyone who can to please send in a contribution so I can cover
that check.  There is a lot riding on it.  The next time a biting ferret is
quarantined, the health department will have to worry that if they kill the
ferret, they are subject to a lawsuit.  All the scientific data points out
that ferrets are domestic and don't shed the rabies virus.  The killing of
healthy ferrets will put the health department at risk.  A ten day
quarantine is more than sufficient protection for any public health concern.

If you can help me cover this $600 check, please send a contribution to
Ferrets Anonymous, PO Box 3395, San Diego, CA 92163.  If you are already a
member of Ferrets Anonymous, please let me know.  Using your record number
is helpful.

Thank you to those of you who have already helped.  Stay with Ferrets
Anonymous and watch the show as those people who cruelly killed Rocky will
have to explain themselves.  I hope to see the whole ferret ban, and those
responsible for it, exposed for what it is.

Justice for Rocky and all of us!

Pat Wright
Chairman and Founder
Ferrets Anonymous