From:
Juliana Quadrozzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 22:33:48 -0500
>From:    Jennifer Poverchuk <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets in Texas....question

I understand that when flying ferrets (sorry via airline) you must always
have certain paperwork.  Your vet should be able to tell you exactly what
you'll need, including rabies vaccinations no less than 1 month before the
flight & a health certificate.  I can't remember whether or not there's
something else, but I think there is, so check out the requirements
thoroughly.  Your vet should be able to supply you with the regulating
office & phone number.

>I will be staying in Grapevine, which is between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

You might be able to find out which counties in TX are illegal from the
local TX clubs.  But if it were me, I'd call the animal control agencies for
each myself.

It's been a while since I did this, so PLEASE check further.  A friend of
mine nearly didn't get back into Canada w/her frits (who all originated
there) because she didn't have 1 document signed by the US Dept of
Agriculture.

>From:    "Holmquist, Maxwell R" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Where is Marshall Farms

Marshall doesn't sell to the public.  Besides there are more than 12 ferret
contacts in NY listed in Deborah Jeans *A Practical Guide to Ferret Care*
(an excellent book for the 1st time ferret owner I might add).  E-mail me
directly & tell me where you live & I'll give you contacts & numbers.

>From:    MacEachern <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My first ferret! - wondering if anyof you happen to know if she'll
get along well with my cat and dog.

Depends on the cat & dog.  Thoroughly supervise their initial contact & see
what happens.  But always supervise them whenever the ferret is out.  More
than generally speaking, it is a given that hunting dogs can't be trusted
w/frits.  If a cat has no use for the frit, it usually just makes itself
unavailable.

>From:    Tich <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need help in training.
Uncooked carrots have been known to cause intestinal blockage in ferrets.
Some other treats you can try are Cheerios, raisins (you may have to open
them at 1st), corn, veg, or olive oil, Nutrical (dietary supplement paste),
Linatone or Ferritone.  My guys go absolutely nuts for unfrosted blueberry
Pop Tarts & fortune cookies & potatoes.  Kits don't always know what they
like yet, like kids.  Just keep trying different things.  Sometimes just
smearing it on their mouth turns them on to the taste.

Training weasels does involve bribes.  Try giving Mortis a treat (when you
find one).  He has to be made to know that he gets down when you say so.
Hold him for a little bit (they do squirm don't they), give him a treat,
then put him down.  Extend the amount of time you hold him each time.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: foot bitin' fuzzies! - is she just acting spoiled?

Your boyfriend trained her (very unsuspectingly) that every time she wanted
anything, all she had to do was go for the closest part - le foot.

I've posted a few times about the *act of god* flyswatter technique.  Sit
equipped w/your trusty fly-swatter, ready for the little bugger's attack.
Swat her when she attacks.  It doesn't hurt & they don't make the connection
that it came from you, but it sure does get their attention.  No verbal
repremand either - just the fact that this *thing* happended usually
corrects the annoying foot attacks in a couple of swats!  I can't believe
how well it works (thank you Jan).