Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:31:28 -0400
I'm not sure Petco is doing anyone any favors by switching from
Marshall Farm ferrets to Real Canadian Ferrets. Of course, what I wish
is that they wouldn't sell ferrets at all but thats another story.

I have/had 2 Real Canadian Ferrets. My boy Teddy was big, bulky,
beautiful and loved every ferret but he had a huge problem! He bit in
the face! And he bit hard and always drew blood! He did this from the
day I got him till he passed away. And he wasn't very healthy. He was
adrenal at less than 1 year old, had adrenal surgery at 2 1/2 after
melatonin and lupron were no longer working, got lymphoblastic luekemia
at 3 1/2 was put on chemo, 1 1/2 weeks after diagnosis (with a bone
marrow aspirate) he got lymphoma in his chest. Rescue therapy was done
and chemo continued for another 1 1/2 months till he passed away on
Dec. 27, 2007 at just over 3 1/2 yrs old!

Dr Gold had never seen a ferret with lymphoblastic luekemia. We used to
joke every time Teddy came in to get any kind of treatment that Teddy's
score was 5 and the vet techs were 0. Teddy bit almost all the vet
techs in the face even when he was deathly ill (dont worry he bit
myself and all my family and anyone else he could get in the face, I
always had to warn everyone - watch your face!!)! He had blood taken
several times per week and 2 techs would hold him and if they let their
grip go by just a little bit he would climb up their chest an bite them
in the face! The vet techs would say he was the fastest deathly sick
ferret they had ever seen. It was the craziest thing! He was so sweet
and loving but had a real thing for your face.

His brother Casper is also nippier than a MF baby. Casper doesnt bite
in the face but if you wrestle and play with him he will bite hard! I
try not to play too rough with him because he really hurts when he
bites. Casper is 4 1/2 now and has had blood work since he was 3. He
has had mild kidney problems. He is also deaf. And even though I got
him as a baby he hates other ferrets! He was only in my house for 2
weeks before I added my baby Max but he hated him and tried to kill
him. We joke that he is our little pit bull.

I have not had as many problems with my Marshall Farm kids and I have
plenty of those. I honestly think Petco is making a huge mistake. The
average person that buys that cute little bundle of fur on impulse is
not ready for a Real Canadian Ferret!

Just what we need, MORE ferrets coming into shelters!

Lisa Vible
AFA Education Director