Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:54:57 +0100
After days of bursting anticipation, the new ferret sand box is up and
ready for digging!  What a success it has become!  Even the geriatric crew
has blessed us with their enthusiastic four paws up!  The first day, Ping,
our one year old, dug in the box for over an hour an a half and then kept
coming back every 10 - 15 minutes to dig some more.  Ping is actually the
most enthusiastic one of the group when it comes to her love of the new
sand box.  She encourages onlookers to assist in her digging by giving
little nudges with her nose.  And when she wants to take over in the hole
you have so nicely dug, she gives you a nudge with her nose to get out of
the way.

The box is smaller than I wanted but the ferrets don't seem to mind one
bit.  The box is approx.  31.5" x 21" x 18".  It has a removable finely
meshed top and one 2" hole cut into one side for them to wiggle in and out
of.  The box is made of white melamine and caulked and sealed at the bottom
to prevent the water from leaking out.  The box sits on four plastic feet
that make sliding on our newly tiled floor easy.

We chose children's play sand and purchased four 25 kg bags (that's 55 lb.
for all you 'mericans).  It took about four buckets of water to wet it all
down nicely.  That's the key - water and lots of it.

We chose sand over dirt and rice for a few reasons: Firstly, dirt too
closely resembles the material in the plant pots - we simply did not want
to send a double message to them - yes, you can dig in this dirt, but you
can't dig in that dirt; secondly, the sand, especially when watered down,
resembles in consistency the appearance of dirt; thirdly, believe it not
but sand can be washed if necessary; fourthly, rice just doesn't behave
like dirt and sand - you can't dig a decent tunnel through it and walk over
top of it and have it hold; fifthly, rice can't be watered down without
getting soggy; sixthly, the ferrets won't poop and pee where it is wet,
so I don't have to worry about it being spoiled.

There is no replacement for sand... I have no worries that my babies will
get sick because of it.  I hearken back to the days of yore when their
relatives dug in many substrates without causing their demise.  The sand,
when watered down, leaves no dust to fly around and gives them a substance
that offers resistance and can be remodeled over and over again.  I have
had just as much fun watching them dig as my ferrets do actually digging!
It is so fascinating watching them pick their spots.  It is hilarious to
watch how the feet come into play, as they try to move sand about the box
in armfuls that are far too large to handle by such a little ferret.

Another side benefit of the sand box is that it gives them something
cool to lay on, on the days we have high temperatures.  Their fur seems
to have this wonderful feature that allows the sand to roll right off.
Unfortunately the feet still carry sand out of the box but when I see the
joy it brings them, I think it is minor problem.  I'm working on a sand
sock that they'll have to climb out of that will release some of the sand
from their feet before they reach the other side.  I just have to figure
out how to attach it... hmmmmm

I hope to have some pictures soon to show those who are interested....
Anyway, just wanted to share....

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur