From:
Bing Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 10:28:23 -0700
>... There are many new flea control products on the market now and we would
>like to know which can be used safely for ferrets?  Our Vet couldn't or
>wouldn't recommend any of the products like "PROGRAM" or "ADVANTAGE".  ...
>Can anyone tell us if using one of these new flea control products is safe
>for our ferrets (we have five now)?

In the veterinary practice, where I work, we regularly recommend Feline
Advantage for rabbits.  As far as I know, canine and feline Advantage both
have the same active ingredient and the difference is in the dosage.  We've
never had ferrets in so I could not tell you if our veterinarians would
recommend it for them.  However, Advantage is a topical so it will not
penetrate beyond the top layers of skin, as opposed to Program which is
ingested.  Also, I can tell you for certain that Advantage is not harmful to
cats, dogs, rabbits, and people (have gotten plenty on myself over time.) Of
course, you do not want to allow them to lick at the application spot
(usually the back of the head to prevent licking.) Another advantage of
Advantage over Program, is that Advantage kills fleas.  Program only
sterilizes them to prevent breeding.  Therefore Program will have a
considerably lesser effect if you ferret goes outside much and picks up more
fleas.  A disadvantage is that Advantage is limited in its water resistance.
It generally loses it efficacy after about 2 washings.  Hope this helps all
of you.