From:
Derek & Amy Flemming - Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:34:04 -0400
MC - as always - a good and thought provoking post.  I feel I must reply as
I have posted in previous FMLs on this subject .  .  .

>Mustang Charlie wrote on Sat, 17 Jul 1999
>Subject: Breeding Ferrets

>I keep reading, "Don't breed your ferret!  You need experience and
>knowledge." Well, DUH!  How does one propose that experience and knowledge
>be acquired?

Anything that I posted said not to breed your PET.  Experience and
knowledge of the specific animal is needed.  Some folks that own ferrets
are not aware of any diseases they can get let alone that you should ...
heaven forbid ... take them to a vet!  THESE are the kinds of idiots that
e-mail me asking to buy breeding pairs!  I believe that urging knowledge
and experience in ferrets BEFORE breeding them is not asking much.

Let me ask YOU a question.  You said that you bred birds, reptiles,
rodents, dogs, and cats.  Did you just do this blindly?  Or did you have
some sort of basic knowledge in the animal's health?  Did your family that
bred and raised dogs and horses have basic knowledge?  Or did they just
do this blindly?

I think you missunderstand the meaning of "experience and knowledge".
Anytime it was uttered out of me it was meant in the species in general -
not breeding.  Knowledge in breeding is an experience and cannot be taught.
Ask any breeder of any species and they will confirm this.

>How does one propose that experience and knowledge be acquired?  By
reading about it?  Only a very small part of it is acquired that way.

Let me quote you in saying, "well, DUH!"

[Part two to follow]

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines =20
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"