From:
Dawn Gloeckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 21:11:30 -0500
I was reading someone mentioned about cleaning the tartar from their
ferrets teeth. I thought you had to take them to the vet and my vet
wants to anesthetize them to do this. It's not only pretty expensive
but I don't like the idea of giving my ferrets anesthesia as there is
always a chance they won't wake up! I myself had such a bad reaction
from being put under once that I am deathly afraid of it!

They get their ears cleaned by me and I use the "twirl" method for
clipping nails (I hold them up so they can't get down - with both
hands, then twirl around a few times. They get a little dizzy so I
can clip a few nails till they come around and start to squirm again,
so I do a few more twirls, then clip a few more nails). Just be sure
when you twirl that you keep your eye on 2 spots and turn your head
so's you don't get dizzy yourself and can't clip their nails!

So what can you do to clean the tartar from your own ferrets teeth?

Thanx for any suggestions!

Dawn, Hamlet, Socrates, Romeo, and the DMK boys Alexander
and my sweet, deaf panda, Simon (who's learning sign language and
doing quite well!)