From:
Sue Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:21:38 EST
I have been a member of the FML for a number of years now, posting
sometimes frequently and since I lost my first furbaby Dante to a
pancreatic tumor, I haven't been able to post at all.  It's just too
hard.  But I read from the sidelines.

I have to step up and say something here.  David has had a number of
"Vinnie da Rat" ferrets, and I have seen a number of posts over the years
of David loosing his ferrets.  I know it is not kind to judge people, but
I just have to ask the question.  Is Mr Owings meant to be a ferret
daddy?

If you loose one ferret, but have many others with success, no worries.
I had six ferrets at one point and none of them ever got out or lost.
Sheer luck, I know.  I am quite anal about them and ferret proofing the
house and everything.  They are basically, like for many of us, my
children.  Everyone is entitled to one slip up.  I remember Donna
Christensen loosing her ferret for months out in Wisconsin (or was it
Michigan?  I'm from New England...anything out past PA is about the same
lol) but she miraculously found him.  We were all pulling for her.

However, when you have lost ferret after ferret, I think it is wise to
sit down and do some hard thinking.  I honestly believe that not everyone
is meant to be a ferret owner.  They are not the easiest animals in the
world to care for (but man, do they run away with your heart every time
so I can understand why people fall in love with them the way that they
do).  I cannot help but wonder (normally to myself but feel its
nescessary to post the question) if Mr. Owings is meant to be a ferret
daddy.  I am not passing judgement.  Far from it.  But, after loosing
ferret after ferret, it's time to sit down and do the thinking...should
I get another one to replace my lumberyard ferret who has gone missing
there?  Or do I simply realize that I am not capable of caring properly
for a ferret?  I realize that it has not been mentioned about finding
another replacement yet, but Mr. Owings manages to get replacement
ferrets and that concerns me.  And then he manages to loose them to one
incident or another.

Please do not leave Vinnie in the lumberyard...he will never survive.
Keep looking.  But on the other hand, if you cannot retrieve him, think
about the replacement ferret that will most likely come and if you can
truly take care of him.  That's all I am asking to think about.  Because,
after all, isn't this list about caring for ferrets?

Sue
down to the last three
Templeton, Nala and Hooper
remembering my ferrets angels Dante, Toby and Paul Paul