From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:59:51 -0500
I'd like to respond to the anon poster who asked why a shelter might
say no. While this question was directed to a case of a ferret and a
kill shelter, I'd like to address the broader point of view. I'd like
to do it anonymously because frankly I don't currently have the
wherewithal to take the heat of a flaming.

We are a small shelter. After several more than 15 years of continuous
sheltering I am still trying to learn the adage "you can't save them
all". Horrible things happen every day, things you can not and should
not accept responsibility for. Things you can have absolutely no
impact on what so ever. A loved one killed in a car crash, struck by
lightening or some horrid disease. You can't stop it, you shouldn't
claim the blame, but your heart breaks and guilty ensues anyway. On
to the ferrets.

Many years ago we worked with a VERY large ferret shelter, helping out
as needed but mostly providing medical care to the sickest of the sick.
There were approximately 100 ferrets in this shelter at all times and
that didn't count the fosters. This shelter took in all comers, no
questions asked. Even with the (limited) amount of volunteers who
helped out, there was no way to keep track of all those ferrets.
One day the poor shelter Mom found one who'd died curled up in its
bedding ....... about 3 days previously. She thought the poor baby
had just been sleeping. (yes, I see your faces stuck in horror. I was
furious.)

Months before I'd had a gentler revelation that one would cast in
stone. I had my few shelterees and a few of theirs as well. My numbers
in house were in the low 20s as I walked past the ferret sick room. I
had a little girl up on a table (in her cage of course) next to the
doorway. The doors to any room ferrets have access to here are always
open so I can look in as I walk by, more so for a sick room. As I
walked by this time I glanced down at my sickest patient. I took 3 more
steps before what I'd seen sunk it. She was on the verge of a crash. It
hadn't happened yet, but it suddenly struck me, like a baseball bat
upside the head, that I had almost missed it. Why? Because having to
care for 20 some odd sick ferrets was more than I could do. At those
numbers I was going to start missing things. I would be too tired, too
busy, too stretched, too you pick the adjective, to pick up on those
subtle little symptoms that can mean the difference between life and
death. Right there, right then I realized I had limits, and trust me it
was like a thunderclap at point blank range. But I knew in my heart I
could NOT be responsible for the death of a single ferret, and here is
the kicker, IN MY CARE because I didn't have time. That evolved further
as I saw shelters and individuals take on animals, not just ferrets,
they could neither feed nor care for let alone provide medically for.
It was a hard learned lesson and one I still rail against.

But here is my truth: I would have and save and love and comfort every
single ferret, even yours, if I could - but I can't. There's not enough
money, there's not enough time, there's not enough of me. So the ones I
do take will have what they need to the very best of my ability. They
will get the medical care they should have, not just need. They will
get part of my time every day. They will get the best foods I can find
for them. They will get potty boxes scooped every day, more if needed,
and water changed at least twice a day. Bowls and beds will get washed
and disinfected. Every single one will get play time out of a cage
every single day. The ferrets in my care are MY responsibility. I took
them in, I said yes. I have to look into their eyes every day and into
the mirror every night and know I did every thing that could be done
for them; especially when I am returning one to Mother Earth. I know,
unquestionably and without a doubt if I didn't say no, I'm sorry I
can't take them, that I would not be able to properly care for the ones
I do have. The ones in my care are MY responsibility, the ones who
belong to someone else are not. My heart may break for them, but they
are NOT my responsibility until they come through that door.

To mitigate those guilt feelings a small amount, we do a huge amount of
public education. We maintain a referral system to other shelters who
might have room. We keep a list of folks wanting to take in unwanted
ferrets as opposed to buying them. We try to match folks up; those who
want to give up their ferrets with those who are looking.

No its not perfect. In my perfect world no pet would be euthanized
because it doesn't have a home. No pet would ever be neglected let
alone abused. But while I can try to help where and as I can to
alleviate all of those atrocities, I am not responsible for them,
I neither create nor commit them and because I limit the numbers I
take in to the numbers I can care for I won't either.

And THAT, at least in part, is why a shelter might have to say no.

[WP]