From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:45:10 -0400
Hi, everyone,

Amy wrote:
>Also - many deaf ferrets are misunderstood and needs a special family to
>have the time and patience to learn how to communicate with it.  No ferret
>breeder will come up with an answer - but after seeing the deafness in
>certain lines and it showing it is connected with certain colors/patterns -
>why risk it?

I suspect the risk is taken because people find these colors beautiful, and
most breeders, certainly the large ones, breed for an attractive animal
that will sell.

That aside, we have a marked red-eyed white (albino except for a streak of
silver on the tail) named Pertwee, who is most definitely deaf.  He had
been in the pet store for months because he was a "terrible biter", and I
took him home.  It took a little special effort with training, but he has
turned into an extremely affectionate and playful boy, and is our largest
and most muscular fuzzy.  He seems happy and healthy, and has been an
absolute joy.

We have no problems communicating with the little guy.  I call him by
tapping on the floor, and he responds to the vibration.  Keith started us
soothing him by talking to him with his body up against our throats.
Tactile communication: lots of cuddling and play, is important with all
ferrets, not just deaf ones.

I have some deaf friends in Florida, and when I lived there I could sign
reasonably fluently.  Deafness is a handicap of communication, but in no
way prevents anyone from living a good, happy, and productive life.  The
same is true with ferrets.  Pertwee is, without question, a gorgeous fuzzy,
both in physical appearance and in terms of his really amazing personality.
I am glad he was brought into this world.  Perhaps the risk is worth it.

Just my two agorot...

-Caity and the Gang of Eight

(p.s.: the agora is one-hundreth of an Israeli shekel, so it really isn't
worth much.  I don't know that they even have them any more.)

Caitlyn M. Martin                  "They have computers, and may have
[log in to unmask]                           other weapons of mass
http://www.caitys-world.com               destruction"  -Janet Reno