From:
Marsha Stanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:14:22 -0600
Seasons Greetings -

My name is Marsha Stanek, I live in Madison, WI and I have been receiving
the FML since '95.  I was introduced to ferrets in '92 .when my son brought
home what I considered at the time to be some type of smelly demented
creature with which I would not soon be bonding.  After talking to my vet
about this creature, he suggested descenting.  neutering and vaccinating.
After spending a couple of a hundred dollars, I bonded with Crittur - a
lot.  Sadly, Crittur is gone and I shudder when I realize how uninformed I
was as to proper ferret care and food.  Crittur had the run of the house,
interacted with the three cats and two dogs and ate crap food.  Yet we
loved him and I think those last couple years of his life were happy ones
for him.  My husband was so devastated when Crittur unexpectedly died that
he said, " No more ferrets, I do not want to go through this again." The
following Christmas our son gave my husband a little baby silver mitt.
That is our five-year-old Noodles - our first and last pet store ferret.
On the FML, I learned that a ferret shelter had moved to my area - The
Ferret Nook, Inc.  Thus, began my relationship with the Nook and the
director, Kathy Fritz.  Ferret care (volunteering at the shelter) and
ferret activities (fund raisers) has become the biggest priority in my life
after family (and after all, the ferrets are family!) I presently have
seven ferrets - the original Noodles (five years old), Buster - a rescue
from a family that could not deal with him (four years old), and Felix
(three years old) whom I adopted from the Ferret Nook.  The last four
ferrets I have obtained were to be taken to the Ferret Nook Inc. shelter.
Somehow they never quite made it out of our house.  Their names are Elvira,
Moby, Rascal and Snowball - ages uncertain but the most recent pair are 4
1/2 and Snowball is adrenal.  In fact, the folks giving Rascal away were
going to euthanize Snowball because they did not want to spend money at the
vet (after all, they had horses now, and their daughters did not really
play with the ferrets much - never had any vaccinations!)

Also, due to the FML I have met other ferret owners - even in my hometown.
My best ferret person pal in Madison, I met up with through the FML.
Because of contacts made over the FML, I was fortunate enough to be invited
to Portland, OR last summer for the Ferret Fun Match because of the
friendship developed with Sandy Streit on the FML.  It was a wonderful
vacation.

I thank BIG for the FML, my ferrets should thank the FML and all the
resources afforded to me enabling them to live the good life they enjoy.
I thank the Ferret Nook, Inc.  for providing a home and care for more than
a hundred homeless ferrets in my area.  And I thank the shelter operators
nation wide for all they do for these little ones.