From:
pat andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:57:24 -0400
Dear friends,

There were three posts in a row that tore my heart out about ferrets moving
on to the rainbow bridge.  How will I bear it when my dog and two ferrets
leave me?  I've been a basket case of guinea pigs, and when my childhood
fox terrier died I cried for three days...which is why I asked Skeeter to
look for Puddles...which he did, and got a slobbered on face for his pains.
My heart goes out to all of you, and you are in my thoughts.  I'd post
separately to you as I did in the past if my blasted new internet program
kept addresses highlighted...but I do this at work and I can't spend as
much time as I'd like.

There was also mention of the need for exercise (of ferrets--although
humans benefit from such a program, too).  Aside from an hour-long romp in
the morning before I go to work and the two to four hours they spend in
the evening I also try to keep their cage movement to the maximum.

First of all, I have a large cage...5' x 3' x 18"...with four full floors
and a ledge on the top level.  Each level has irresistable ferret
necessities.  A sleep sack and sometimes a hammock on the top level...as
well as a water bottle.  The third level has either a hammock or a tube and
their food bowl.  On the second level is a bowl of water and a tube or tent
that hang up.  The ground level has their large three sided litterpan and
three pieces of my ex clothing for bedding.  They need to use the whole
cage on a regular basis...which is an enforced exercise program while I'm
not home.  Along w/ the "furnishings" I include toys, which a vary from day
to day.  I keep a food that is hard to find (Path Valley's blend) to use in
their ferret ball and to call Shiloh (can't call Amadeus--he's deaf--but he
comes to me when he "feels" me walking around unless he's fast asleep in
one of my desk drawers).  I put this in the cage every other day or
so...and once a week they get Cheerios.  I put the ball on the top level,
and it's a rare day that I don't find it in the bottom...so that activity
is a real hit.  Aside from rotating toys, I also rotate the "furnishings"
and bedding from what would seem an excessive amount for just two ferrets,
so there is frequent mental stimulation as well.

Chris and I spent the evening stuffing slips in plastic easter eggs to use
for a fund raiser at the Baltimore SOS show...this morning I drizzled a
little ferretone on an egg or two and turned them loose in the basket.
They had a great time...maybe I'll make up a basket full when I get home...

The key is variety and washing.  Changing the scent makes them explore it
to find out where it's been.

I want to thank the person who mentioned that their ferrets liked being out
in the dark.  I take my guys out at dusk now and they seem much more
relaxed and willing to play.

Have fun enriching your fuzzies cages!  You'll feel less guilty about them
being in there, and they'll get more of what they need, too!

Pat
Tess (why don't you get them a toy box like you did me, mom?)
Shiloh (I didn't really appreciate you putting me in my water bowl when
        I moving it...I only wanted the carpet to get wet, not me!)
Amadeus (where's your herbal heat pack mom, I wanna' take it to my
         hidey-hole?)