From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 12:43:43 EDT
>Mini-Me had fleas and ear mites when I got her.  I kept her isolated for
>over a month, and had her treated with two shots of Ivermectin, and
>another exam to confirm ear mites were all gone.
>
>I have a small zoo at home-and all ferrets apparently have Mini-Me ear
>mites despite isolation, proper treatment, and an exam following treatment.
>It is going to cost me time and considerable expense to give shots and
>then follow up exams for everyone.

Lisette,

I may have posted this to you before, or it may have been to someone else.
I would recommend treating all furry animals in your house with Advantage.
Advantage worked like a charm on Fargo's ear mites and all of the other
ferrets were treated with Advantage and never got the ear mites even though
they all share a cage.  Ask your vet for a recommended dose for ferrets.
I know for us one cat sized application treated all 4 ferrets, and another
for the cat.  I used it exactly as recommended on the package and within a
week mites were gone and Fargo's temperment had improved considerabily (she
was very nippy and grumpy while infested).  If you are not sure about the
effectiveness of Advantage try using the ear drops at the same time.

I read somewhere (may have been on another list) that mites can live in
couches and furniture for up to or over a year.  If that's true then I
would keep treating with Advantage once a month for a year.

The use of Advantage for ear mites was recommended to my by my old vet in
Knoxville, TN, Rosemary Jones.

Leigh