From:
Ingella Arwidsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:32:15 +0100
I promised to let you all know about Gosta's paw.  We made another X-ray
last Friday, two weeks after the accident and he is healing just fine.  We
still keep him locked up in the smallest room, all by himself, but this
week we have let him out 2 x 15 minutes a day to say hi to Harri, the
poodle and to Pjatten, the mate.  He would very much like to stay with
them but we'll keep him in there for another 2-3 days and then - FREEDOM.

There is something else I have to ask.  I will probably have the burning
flame after me for this - but when I read about all the painful treatments
that some of you put your ferrets through - do you not ever consider that
your fuzzy would be better off if you would help him/her to the rainbow
bridge instead ?

Personally I think, included in the responsibility you take on when taking
an animal - any animal - into your home and your heart, is also taking the
decision of letting them go.  I mentioned this before once, and got some
nasty mails about me being a mean person, not wanting to pay vet bills etc.
This is not the case at all.  I pay vet bills when it comes to injections,
surgery that might cure, exploring surgery, blood tests and tissue tests,
sterilization of males and females, necessary X-rays etc.  But there are
also times when the vet and I consider the little darling to be better off
if euthanized.

I agree, it is a hard decision to take.  But keeping the fuzzbutt with
fatal cancer, without eyes, extremely tired of age etc., I think is not
beeing a friend to the animal.  I do believe it is more for your own sake
then.  A few weeks ago I had to let Ellen go.  I held her, vet gave her
the shot, she looked at me and licked my hand before she piecefully fell
asleep.  I am sure she wanted to tell me - thank you mom, I am tired now.

I am also a little amazed that the vets in US seem to be willing to do all
kind of treatments.  Don't they ever say " your darling will be better off
leaving this world " ?

Still, in spite of the fact that I have been owned by ferrets for 20 years,
I still learn.  This list has been of great interest and still is.  Keep
loving our wonderful ferrets !!

Ingella Arwidsson
Swedish Ferret Mom