From:
Randy A Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:27:27 CDT
>Results were only non -specific elevated liver enzymes and increased
>eosinophils.  Possible diagnosis was gastric ulcers or eosinophilic
>enteritis...

Our ferret, Nolan, had a bout with eosinophillic enteritis back in 1993.
The only symptoms that alerted us was a total cessation of eating combined
with vomiting.  No unusual stools were noticed.  The definitive diagnosis
was made after a biopsy was done during an exploratory surgery to find the
cause.  Nolan was treated with an injection of ivermectin (I guess for
possible parasites), combined with 5mg of Prednisone twice a day for five
days.  The Pred was slowly tapered off for a couple of weeks after that.

After that treatment, no further symptoms appeared relating to the
enteritis.  Is it possible that Rudy has ulcers and the enteritis?  I was
told that the reason for Nolan's vomiting and refusing to eat was that the
eosinophillic enteritis pretty much shut down his entire digestive system.
When that was taken care of, he was back to normal.

See another post for a different problem we're currently having with Nolan.

---
Randy A. Brown