From:
paula ann edgar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 12:12:45 -0700
Hello all!

I want to share what Charlotte did this  morning. My husband Matt and I
went to our niece's third birthday party on Sat. We brought home a
balloon with a long curling ribbon string attached. It is one of those
expensive balloons that stay inflated with helium for several days. The
end of the ribbon is about a foot from the floor. Charlotte and Kitka are
small fuzzies. Char is 2 lbs of stocky healthy toughness wheras Kitka is
more slight at 1.5 lbs. They have to *strain*, but if they are lucky
enough to reach the ribbon they try to run off with it! It is so funny,
their whiskers get in the way and Char leaned up against the couch with
her mouth open, looking like a larger shark trying to get at that darn
ribbon! If she is lucky, she can run under the couch with it in her
mouth, but the balloon is too strong and bounces up to the ceiling. Rest
assured thay they cannot touch the actual balloon and that if it seems to
deflate in the least it will be disposed of. This is a heavily supervised
toy. How can we help but watch? It's too funny to miss!

I was under the impression that M.avium is present in a large percentage
of the  human population but taken care of by normal immune response. It is
when the immune system is compromised that it is allowed cause problems,
as in people with AIDS. Would this also apply to ferrets?

Paula & Mattt
Charlotte & Kitka