From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:24:42 -0400
Monna-
My solution: don't give the dog back!!!.  When someone gives up their pet
to someone else for six months, that person has relinquished their legal
(and any other kind of rights, in my opinion) rights to that pet.

At our animal hospital, we have had people abandon their animals and we
have sent them letters of legal notice of abandonment after the allotted
time period to remind them that they no longer have a legal claim on the
animal and that we will not be giving the pet back under any
circumstances (to someone who obviously cared nothing for them).  We have
the law on our side here.

This is not just a moral issue; it is a LEGAL one-that girl gave up her
right to that dog months ago.  Don't let anyone else pressure you into
giving up this dog, especially to the person who abandoned it in the
first place.

-April Armstrong Campbell
"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman."
-Groundskeeper Willy, "The Simpsons"