From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:36:27 -0800
Becky,
The show was a bit one sided.  The judge refused to hear about abandonment.
Actually, no one wants to believe someone that is supposed to be an
upstanding, responsible adult is guilty of abandoning an animal.

But here is the thing from start to finish, one week before the ferrets
were dropped off, I talked to them agreeing to board the ferrets for 30
days.  BOARD as in fees were to be paid.  The real estate agent told them
to get rid of the nasty animals.  That included, a dog, a cat, chinchilla,
iguana, ducks and a pot bellied pig.  (By the way, they boarded them with
other shelters that specialize in the species, and have not picked any of
them up as of this date - shelters in this area try to communicate)

July 17h they were dropped off.  One week later, they visited and it was to
be only 30 days the mother confirmed it saying by August 20th the latest.
Two weeks after the 30 days, they were sent a letter, regular mail, stating
that if I did not hear from them by Sept.  14th they would be considered
abandoned and ownership would come to the shelter.  I sent the letter to
both the old address and the new address so they would get it at both
houses.  I had contacted them telling them the one ferret needed adrenal
surgery, and the other was not eating, but being hand fed every two hours
and going to work with me to continue this.  I do let the former owners
know how the ferrets are doing, and if they have been adopted, so what I
did was not something out of the ordinary for me.  I was told they wouldn't
do the surgery, but have Tramp euthenized.  She even told me that the kids
really don't have the time for two ferrets.  They don't have time to take
care of the dog now.  I asked if she read the letter I sent, she replied,
yes, both copies, and told her that I was just letting them know how they
were doing, per my usual routine.  They were not getting the ferrets back.
I received no protest or argument at that.  She wanted to adopt another
ferret, and I told her no.  (By the way, the adoption fee for Kayla was
$35.00, not $200.00) Then I was asked if they could at least visit.  Having
had former owners visit before, I could not see a problem with this.

They came to see Kayla, the ferret adopted from my shelter.  Then the
father told me he came to get Kayla.  I told them no.  According to the
contract, if they are irresponsible as far as care for Kayla, she would be
taken back by the shelter.  And according to the law, which they were
notified she was abandoned.  The contract I use has been looked at by an
attorney and a judge, and it will hold up in court.

The father got nasty, yelling and threatening to sue.  I told him, then do
that and leave my home.  Have a nice day.  He wanted ONLY KAYLA, he said
and I quote "She is healthy now, and we don't need the sick one."

They chose the tv court route.  Not me.  I counter sued for sitting fees,
and the vet fees.  By going the TV court route, I was guaranteed money for
the vet, and keeping the ferrets without causing the family more problems
going through the court system here.

I was informed today by the Magistrate that would have over seen the case,
that with all the documentation I had, I proved abandonment, and it would
have been decided in my favor.  But, she would have brought the prosecutor
in to prosecute the parents for abandonment.  Abandonment of any animal,
prosecutable.

I made the choice, and I said it before, if I looked the fool, so be it.
At least the ferrets are here and the vet bill is paid for.  The ferrets on
the show were from the New York area, the airlines would not let me bring
the actual ferrets.

Kayla is now adopted, and living in a home where she is spoiled rotten.
Tramp has recovered beautifully from the adrenal surgery and is looking
for a home.  Tramp does not care for other ferrets, she prefers people.

I sat and thought long and hard about this whole thing when it was going
on, and I talked to a few people here, telling them that if I go to city
court and I am told to turn over the ferrets I will not, and I would need
to have bail money.  I am willing to do whatever I have to to keep the
ferrets here safe, and find them good homes, if that means go to jail, so
be it, if that means I look the fool on TV so be it.  Can you say you would
do the same?

As far as being called a wench, well, I have been called worse.  But if
what I do for these animals I love makes me one, then I am guilty as
charged.

And folks, please, no flames either way.  Everyone has a right to their own
opinion, and based on what was shown on TV after being cut and pasted, she
only knows what she saw.

So Becky, hug your fur angels, and be grateful they are with you to show
you love and joy, and pray for all the ones who do not have a mom or dad
to love them or are in homes where they really aren't wanted.

Jean (The Wench)
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter