From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:16:36 -0700
To Pam Greene:
A colleague originally from England once gave me a magazine article, which I
did not keep, about this topic.  I do not remember the source for certain,
but I think it was Esquire or GQ, published probably about three years ago.

The article described contests in Scotland between men whose goal was to be
the one who could most withstand the pain of stuffing a ferret (I have to
assume this was a polecat) down his pant legs and then being bitten
repeatedly.  The contests were timed; the guy who could stand this ordeal
the longest won.  All of the participants were very proud of the number of
permanent scars they had retained from this activity.

Personally, I thought this behavior was rather perverse and cruel to the
animals as well, which is why I didn't save the article.  You could probably
find it in a public library.

                        Linda

[Moderator's note: An FMLer sent me a copy of the article last year.  I
don't have it handy now, but it was "Outside" magazine, and I think it was
from the 1980's.  BIG]