From:
Pamela Paasche' O'Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 23:19:28 -0400
There are a couple of things I missed in writing down my ferret's symptoms.
It was late.  2 weeks ago, my older blind ferret became lethargic, trembled,
got the staggers, anorexic, severly dehydrated, hypothermic, and unable to
walk within about 24 hours.  She never was able to concentrate her urine
after that.  She was started on Meticorten .12cc SID, Baytril .12cc BID,
80cc S/Q fluids daily ( in 8cc batches) and nutri cal.  She got better for a
few days, and then downhill, we put her to sleep 10 days after onset.  My
other ferret, who is 5, began with a chronic cough, and was on Amoxi drops
1/2 cc BID.  On the day before we euthanized Sonja, he began to become more
lethargic, staggered as though he were drunk, anorexic, dehydrated,
diarrhea, which went from blackish to greenish, urine that was greenish in
tint, wheezing, ocular discharge, pale coloration and slow refill, has been
losing weight.  Occasional fever.  He is eating some, but I am supplementing
with nutrical.  He is on Tribrissen liq, TID, Amphorol for diarrhea BID.
Necropsy samples have been sent out on the first ferret for Aleutian
Disease.  We were not able to get blood on this ferret.  He sounds as if he
has pneumonia.  Hates his meds too.  I am a vet tech, and My boss & I have
researched in all the manuals for what we can find.  I have 'Biology &
diseases of the Ferret' as well as his medical books.  It's a strange one.
neither ferret is ever in contact with any others, nor do they go outside.
I had thought perhaps Salmonella, as we have free ranging chickens, but that
didn't seem to fit either.  Remaining vigilant.  Cannot bear to lose this
one.  If anyone has any suggestions on diagnosis, treatment, or even
supportive therapy, it is appreciated.  I've gotten some stuff already,
thanks.  I'm trying it out.

Thanks

Pam O